Extraction (Normal / Surgical)
What is Extraction?
A dental extraction is a removal of tooth/teeth from the jaws. An extraction can be considered simple when the tooth/ teeth are visible and relatively loose. Local Anesthetic will often be used to numb the area around the affected tooth before the dentist uses an instrument to loosen the tooth before removing it.
Surgical extraction is a complex extraction that is needed when the tooth is impacted. An X-ray will need to be taken to assess the growth of the tooth before the surgical procedure commences. Local Anesthetic will also be used to numb the area before the dentist commences on the surgery.
Extraction may also be carried out when there is a need to remove a decayed, broken or damaged tooth when the tooth is beyond repair. The dentist will assess and determine which type of extraction will be required to extract the affected tooth.
1. Can I use Medisave for Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
- You can use your Medisave if it is a surgical extraction. Medisave covers from $650 to $1,250 for a surgical procedure.
2. What do I need to take note of after the extraction?
- It is normal for pain, bleeding and swelling to occur after an extraction is done. Numbness will still be felt around the affected area for about 2 to 4 hours or more.
- The swelling and pain usually ease off after 3 to 5 days.
- Gauze will be issued for the extracted area. Bite hard on the gauze and change it every 30 minutes.
- Do not spit or rinse for 2 hours after the extraction.
- Avoid any hot food or drinks and soft diet is advisable.
3. Will there be any medication given for extraction?
- You may be given antibiotic(s), and you will need to finish the whole course. It should be taken after food.
- You will also be given painkillers, and should only be taken when necessary.
- Should any rashes or swelling of eyes or breathlessness occur, please call the clinic to inform them.
4. Will there be any Medical Certificate given for Extraction?
- The dentist will usually give a 3 to 5 days Medical Certification for surgical extraction.
Make An Appointment
Open from Mondays to Sundays
Closed on public holidays
Please call 6538 2001 or fill in our online appointment form.